February 6, 2013

On My Bookshelf

Wallace

A lot of people ask for good reads. Well, I started reading Dead and Alive, but then got interrupted by receiving Wallace for Christmas.  Some good reads if you ask me!


WALLACE by Jim Gorant

What the Blurb says: Saved from a suspicious breeder, Wallace was a dog with so much drive and intensity that he flustered the people and dogs around him to the point that the no-kill shelter where he ended up considered putting him down. But where some saw menace, Roo and Clara Yori saw misunderstanding. After a long fight they were allowed to take Wallace home. 
Determined to give Wallace the focus and support he needed, the Yoris stumbled into the world of canine disc competitions—an unlikely place for a big-headed, lumbering pit bull to make his mark. But through the sheer will of his unbending desire, Wallace exceeded all expectations, and along the way he helped salvage the couple who had saved him and became a symbol of hope and potential in a larger struggle.

What I Loved: I love reading true stories about dogs. Wallace happens to be Hector's fur-brother. Hector is a Vicktory Dog.  And I think we all know I'm obsessed with the Vicktory Dogs. I've been following Wallace on Facebook and wanted to know more about him. Of course I cried throughout almost the whole thing.  You see, Wallace currently has cancer. But he's beating the odds and living longer than his vet thought! And then I smile knowing how his whole life (after being adopted by the Yori's) is all about changing perceptions. And then I start to tear up again because I'm thinking about dogs who have stigma's attached to them just because of what they "are." And then I smile thinking about the ones I know personally who are changing local perceptions... This cycle just keeps on going. 

You'll Love it if... you like a true underdog story.


DEAD AND ALIVE by Dean Koontz

What the Blurb says: As a devastating hurricane approaches, as the benighted creations of Victor Helios begin to spin out of control, as New Orleans descends into chaos and the future of humanity hangs in the balance, the only hope rests with Victor’s first, failed attempt to build the perfect human. Deucalion’s centuries-old history began as the original manifestation of a soulless vision–and it is fated to end in the ultimate confrontation between a damned creature and his mad creator. But first they must face a monstrosity not even Victor’s malignant mind could have conceived–an indestructible entity that steps out of humankind’s collective nightmare with powers, and a purpose, beyond imagining.

What I Loved: I'm a monster book nerd. I can't help it. I like to read about zombies, vampires, monsters.  I especially love Dean Koontz books.  This is book three in the Frankenstein series. I bought the entire series at a garage sale for a total of $2. I paid $5 since all proceeds went to a dog rescue group. Sheesh, how did I start talking about dogs again? Monsters. We're talking about monsters and stuff. Keep on subject.

You'll Love if... you like monster books.  Book one was good. Book two started to get a little strange. Book three is beyond strange. I wonder what book four will bring.

No comments: