June 19, 2011

Easy Blankets

One of my new obsessions is making blankets.  Intricate quilts are completely intimidating, so I was looking for something E.A.S.Y.  And I found just what I wanted via Google. Google finds anything and everything.

The first blanket I ever made was for my bestie and her new hubbie.  You can see it here.  I did it with cuddle and flannel.  After this blanket I almost banned cuddle forever.

Then I got on a roll.  This was for my niece Abbs.  I got a little creative with the appliques. The back is chenille.  The top is flannel. The exact steps are HERE.



And why not make a few burp cloths?  My sis MeMe had a lil' baby girl, so let's show off the new skills.  The back is towel material (don't know the technical name) and the front is flannel.


Once again, added some applique.  My Brother has lots of awesome decorative stitching, as you can see with the heart stitch over the ribbon.


The next was a girly rocker blanket for my dear TKO. The front and the back are both flannel.  I used Warm and Cozy batting for the middle.  Warm and Cozy is the way to go if you are looking for a light-weight filler.


Flannel is no longer a challenge, so I moved on to cuddle/minky AKA super-stretchy-hard-to-work-with-but-so-soft-you-must-use-it-fabric. I was going to give it one more chance. On Memorial Day I took a sewing with cuddle class.  The instructor gave us a simple pattern and so far I have made two cuddle blankets.  And I love them!  I will do a post soon on some simple tips to make sewing with cuddle easier.  Stay tuned!

I linked up to... Go check out Sweet Peas & Bumblebees and Night Owl Crafting for some really creative ideas!



NightOwlCrafting

No comments: